I didn’t want to take time out earlier to blog the progress but David Hartwell’s edits on the December 3, 2012, submission came back a few weeks ago, all relatively easily made, just time consuming because it is, after all, more than a thousand pages. I’ve spend about the last week trying to clean up the format — in some cases unsuccessfully, as no matter what I did, what “help” articles I read, nothing would get it to renumber the footnotes properly. Their installation in New York may be able to force it, but I wasn’t able to.
This last bit was a run through the final-corrected manuscript with the principal aim of getting in at least a sentence of description for each story that is mentioned, at least enough to identify it. Along the way I picked up some “shave and a haircut” typos and such. The last act, yesterday May 2, 2013, was to convert the footnotes to endnotes (a format I hate as apparently do all the readers who commented on it at all). The numbering aberrations are still there, though, so I anticipate problems with the copyedit.
So the news is, what I fondly hope is the final edit was turned in yesterday. Now, once David approves the ms. as “acceptable,” comes legal review, copyediting, picture selection, galley proofs. Some time in 2014 — nine years after I finished it the first time — we should have volume 2.